I can understand how frustrating it can be when you try to launch Roblox and it says “Error occurred while starting Roblox” the moment you click the game icon. This error prevents you from launching the game in the first place, let alone exploring gaming options.
However, this is not something that you cannot fix on your own. It is one of the common errors people encounter while playing Roblox games.
It is mostly related to network problems however I have found that there are other reasons such as corrupt files, firewalls,s, etc.
In this post, I’ll be discussing everything about the “Error occurred while starting Roblox” error along with the solutions to get rid of it.
What is the “Error occurred while starting Roblox” error?
Roblox doesn’t require any introduction. Everyone knows it’s one of the largest gaming communities on the internet with millions of users enjoying the platform every single day.
You can play tons of multi-player games, mini-games, and adventurous games offered by the developers, and also those created by other gamers while communicating with each other.
So not just you can play games, you can create your own and let others play your game.
It completely works with the internet, so any problem with the internet, you may see different kinds of errors just as “Error occurred while starting Roblox”
You will see this error while trying to launch Roblox on your computer. It wouldn’t let the game start in the first place and flash a message that reads “Error occurred while starting Roblox Studio” along with other details of the error.
Also, while the error primarily reads as “Error occurred while starting Roblox” but details of the error may vary from one person to another.
Here are some of the most common examples of this error:
What causes “Error occurred while starting Roblox”
While the exact reason is unknown but it can happen due to a variety of reasons.
There is no single culprit that we can blame for this error. It can happen either due to a faulty internet connection or corrupt system files.
Not just that this error can be seen appearing due to the problem at the developer’s end itself.
It can be a technical glitch that the developers will fix or the Roblox server is down temporarily as the developers are updating the platform.
Sometimes outdated browsers, browse cache, and Windows DNS cache create hurdles to launch the game.
The firewalls may also be the culprit behind the error as they might be blocking access to the Roblox gaming platform.
How to Fix “error occurred while starting Roblox Studio”
So, there is no single reason as to why it happens. Therefore the solutions for everyone will not be the same.
I have discussed various fixes that can be helpful in resolving this issue.
Let’s check them out.
Prepare before applying solutions to fix “Error occurred while starting Roblox”
Before we go ahead and try solutions, it’s good to check if the Roblox server is not down and working fine across different regions.
It is important because none of these solutions will help you fix the error if the Roblox server is down for any reason.
Check Roblox Server Status:
Roblox is a community not just a gaming platform. It runs on a server that handles huge loads all day long and when the server load goes beyond its capacity, it is likely to go down.
So, checking and ensuring that the server is up and running will be a wise decision before applying solutions.
To check, do the following:
- Open a browser on your PC.
- Go to Google search and type “Roblox server status“
- Open the first website that appears in the search results. Click Here if you want to go to the server status checker directly.
- The server status page tells if all the systems are operational or are down. If they are operational, it means the Roblox server is up and running well. Now you can go ahead and apply solutions.
Check your Internet connection:
The other thing to check here is that your internet is working fine. As I said Roblox is an online gaming platform that requires an active and stable internet connection.
If your internet is getting interrupted or not stable, it won’t let the client (Roblox Game app) connect with its server and throw errors.
You can check your internet connection by downloading simple files from the internet or opening websites like https://techgeekdesk.com.
If the website opens well, your internet is working fine.
To double check go to fast.com and start the internet speed test.
If the results show constant speed every time you perform the test, your internet is working fine.
I would advise repeating the test a few times to check the average speed as it may vary every time you do the testing.
After ensuring the server is up and running and there is no problem with your internet connection, it’s time to apply the solutions we have shared.
Let’s get started.
1- Flush Windows DNS Cache
Windows DNS cache plays a very important role in fixing many errors.
The “Error occurred while starting Roblox Studio” can be seen due to faulty or corrupt Windows DNS cache as well.
Clearing them can immediately fix the error provided there is no culprit causing this issue.
To clear the Windows DNS cache, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows icon from the system tray and type “cmd” in the search box.
- Right-click the “cmd” app and choose “Run as Administrator“
- It will open a common prompt with administrative rights that allows you to perform tasks that can only be performed by an administrator.
- Type this command “ipconfig /flushdns” and hit enter.
- It will take a moment to flush DNS. Close the command prompt and try to launch the Roblox game app to see if the issue is resolved.
2- Allow Roblox in the Firewall
The firewall protects your computer from being affected by malware that can completely ruin your PC.
However, if the protection level is set “high”, it may block access to some reliable apps as well including Roblox.
Allowing Roblox in the firewall can fix the “Error occurred while starting Roblox” error.
- Press the Windows and type “Control Panel” in the search box.
- Click the “Control Panel” app from the search.
- Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall“
- Tick the checkbox against “Roblox” to allow the Roblox app through the firewall.
3- Reset the TCP-IP with Netsh
As we know, the internet plays an important role in online gaming.
Any issue with the internet such as Internet protocol being corrupt, may lead to an “Error occurred while starting Roblox” error.
We can try to reset the TCP-IP and check if this can help us resolve the issue.
Steps to reset TCP IP:
- Press Windows + R. It will open a dialogue window.
- Type “cmd” and press enter. It will start a command prompt.
- Type “netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt” and press enter.
- It will reset the TCP IP and probably fix the error.
If it doesn’t resolve the issue, try another method.
4- Reset Network connection
If you have somehow changed the network settings or maybe a Walmart that has infected your PC has altered the network settings, you may likely meet with “Error occurred while starting Roblox”
The network connection can be reset from the command prompt and with a series of commands that you need to run one after another. Here is the procedure.
- Go to the Windows icon and type “cmd” in the search bar.
- Right-click the “Cmd” app and run it as administrator.
- Type these commands one after another in the same order.
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew netsh winsock reset
- Restart your Computer and launch the Roblox app.
5- Disable VPN
VPN allows you to access the websites that are banned in your region by assigning you a new IP address that is allowed by the website owners.
A good VPN is very helpful but a bad VPN service can cause various issues. Your VPN service should offer you a fast speed and it doesn’t interrupt your internet connection.
To check if your VPN is at fault for “Error occurred while starting Roblox”, disable the VPN if you are using one and check if the problem persists.
6- Uninstall and re-install Roblox
If the above solutions don’t work, chances are the installed files are corrupt and we could fix it by uninstalling the current installation and re-installing it.
The reinstallation will remove the culprit files and add a new one that will remove this error.
We may choose to repair the files but I don’t recommend that as it wouldn’t fix the problem. Reinstallation is a better approach.
To uninstall, do this.
- Click the Windows Icon from the bottom left corner.
- Type “Settings” in the search box.
- Go to Settings > Apps.
- Go to “Uninstalled Apps“
- Click the three dots against the Roblox app and select “Uninstall“
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue window.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” and hit enter.
- From the list of apps, select Roblox, right-click it, and choose “Uninstall“
Go to Roblox’s official website and install the app for your device.
7- Restart Router
Sometimes the router’s cache create problem while launching and connecting the app to the internet.
It became prominent for the app that relies on the internet to function as a Roblox gaming app.
Restarting the router can help you remove the clogged files or cache that blocks the Roblox app installed on your device to connect to the internet.
- Switch off the button, and remove the power adopter from the wall socket.
- Wait for a minute.
- Plug in the power adopter and let all the lights become stable.
Launch the Roblox app and see if the error is fixed.
Try Roblox now.gg
Roblox has launched now.gg for Roblox lovers who want to play games in a browser.
This website allows users to play Roblox games without actually downloading and installing games on their devices.
So, you can try now.gg Roblox and play the game in the browser until you fix the error on your computer.